Noah Interview (July 2014)

By Nathan P Hunt


Noah is a British wrestler who is building his name and reputation around the North West of England, working for companies such as Futureshock & HXC Wrestling, both based around the Manchester area, and for Grand Pro Wrestling (GPW), in and around Wigan.

Were you trained exclusively at Futureshock or did you try any other schools?
I've been trained by Futureshock for a long time, and have been a part of GPW training as well for well over a year now. I feel branching out a little and learning from different people is a benefit, I'd recommend both schools.
What is the hardest part about training to become a professional wrestler? 
Depends who you are. Some folk are natural athletes but awful at the performance side of things, some are natural performers but unfit when they start out. Some are both or neither. For myself initially, it was probably the physical side, but that became much easier when I got into shape.
What is the best piece of advice that you have been given while training?
"Don't die."

How much training / exercise do you do in your own time to stay in shape and bulk up?
I aim to visit the gym at least four times a week, and do smaller cardio exercises at home when I can't go.
What guest trainers have you trained with / seminars have you attended, and who do you feel was most passionate about helping younger talents?
Loads. Doug Williams, Johnny Saint, Marty Jones, Robbie Brookside, Prince Devitt, Drake Younger, Sonjay Dutt, amongst other one off sessions I have probably missed out. I've also taken part in week long seminars with Jay Lethal and Davey Richards.
Jay Lethal loves helping trainees out, and is such a positive guy who takes the time to really help you. I've got nothing bad to say about anyone who's taken a session really though, I've enjoyed the vast majority.

 
At what stage do you start thinking about your persona, and how did you create the Noah character that you use?
Again, depends who you are and how quickly you progress. I'm a natural actor, used to do it a lot in school and love being on stage, and began doing the generic crazy character as soon as I started having training matches. That has slowly evolved into something far more unique and interesting as I've taken advice from trainers and peers, thought of my own ideas, and absorbed influence from pop culture outside of professional wrestling.

How hard is it to get bookings when you first start out?
This can depend on who you know, who attends the shows you are on, how much of your work you can show to people, and of course how good you are. It varies. 

How important is the internet and social media in building your name and reputation, and for drawing crowds etc?
It's very important these days, Facebook events and the like are great for spreading word about shows. Of course, on the ground postering is still hugely important.
Are there many opportunities for merchandising for yourself on the UK independent circuit, or is that exclusively under the control of the promotions you work for?
I've not moved into making merchandise for myself just yet.

Who do you feel are the names on the UK independents that have potential to become big stars in the industry?
You never know, but there are plenty of talent in the UK that deserve recognition. This might be a question better suited to a veteran.
What are the best and worst parts about working independent shows?
I love working shows, and can't really think of a "best" part. I suppose just getting in there and wrestling. But it's usually a great atmosphere backstage too.
"Worst"? When people who are at my level don't help out with constructing the ring. It's the respectful thing to do, and it's important that we know the tool we work with inside and out. This is rare however.

Do any of the trainers or veterans give the students / newer talents a particularly hard time? 
Not really.


 How does it feel to walk out in front of a crowd for the first time, and how long before your confidence grew to a point of feeling comfortable in front of an audience?
For me, the first time was nerve racking before I stepped out, but as soon as I got into character I stopped being nervous. I've always liked performing though, so my view might be somewhat slanted.

What advice would you give to anyone who wants to become a professional wrestler?
Make sure you choose a reputable school. There are a lot of second rate schools around.

What are your long-term and short-term goals for yourself in the industry (e.g. companies you would want to work for, people you would like to work with etc?)
Have fun and see how far I can get. Aim for the WWE, as even if I don't reach that goal, by working towards the best I hope to make myself the best that I can be.


Do you think that British wrestling can ever be as popular as it was in the 1970’s & 1980’s? 
It's not likely, but I support any effort to work towards that goal.

Is there much difference nowadays between the UK and USA styles of pro wrestling? 
These days it's more subtle than it was, but there is. I remember Davey Richards - of all people - talking about technical, hold for hold wrestling being a very British thing. Watch Regal or Finley from their latest WWE runs, or even Sheamus, Barrett, Paige and Cesaro these days. There is definitely a European flavour that makes them different to their American counterparts.

Have you watched much of the old British Wrestling from World Of Sport, and if so which wrestlers were your favourites or who do you feel were the backbone of its success? 
Yes. Mick McManus is far and away my favourite, great wrestler, fantastic heel.


Please like Noah & Oscar's Facebook page for more information, updates and upcoming events.

Photos of Noah have all been provided by Darren Potts.

To keep up to date with details of other interviews, reviews & articles from Eye On Wrestling, as well as news and trivia, please follow on Twitter and like the Facebook page.